Friday, November 30, 2007

Jenny's November Update

Dear Friends and Family,

November is thought to be a month of thanksgiving, and as I ponder that, I realize just how much I have to be thankful for- more than I could ever contain in a letter. Here are a few of them:…

Family, Friends and Loved Ones. I am so thankful for everyone who is a part of my life even though you are so far away from me at this point, because all of you are such a blessing. I could not do what I do here without the support each of you give through friendship, finances, and your prayers. It is so hard though to be far away from those that I love especially as we head into the holidays, and so that makes me so thankful that God has given me friends here, some of the midwives that I work with have become so special to me, and support and encourage me daily.

Mercy Maternity Center and all that it entails. When I first discovered this missions/midwifery program, I knew it was a perfect fit, because before this, I had thought I either needed to pursue missions and forget about midwifery, or pursue midwifery and forget about missions for the time. Then God brought me here to the Philippines, to a people I already love and has been teaching me so much more about that love and how to do missions and midwifery together.

Lessons learned as I live. God continues to speak into my life in so many different ways, and I am so thankful that He is such a patient God when it comes to teaching His children. He teaches me in many ways – through my patients, my friends, my church, and of course through my own personal time with Him. He is teaching me much about trusting Him especially where the future is concerned. Soon, I will be at a crossroads again as I hit graduation in July, but instead of only having to choose to turn left or right, I am finding the whole world open to me, and realizing just how many options are out there for me to choose as my next step. Every time I think about it, I have to stop and remind myself that until now He has been faithful, and shown Jeremiah 29:11-13 true, where as long I walk forward in His will, He is faithful to complete the good work He started in me.

Life remains full of life here at MMC, this month I hit a new record as I delivered 2 babies in one shift twice! My first time was a very busy night shift (10pm-6am) and I delivered my first baby at 10:28pm, a beautiful little girl. Then, my team mate Tiffany was in with an active labor along with my supervisor, and so I became the midwife for Dendimore because Michelle (a midwife-in-training still, having just arrived this September) was not delivering babies yet. Her baby boy was born at 12:03am. Both were wonderful births, and although I wasn’t able to do any sleeping that night, I enjoyed it immensely.

My second time delivering 2 babies in a row happened only a few days later! I was on swing shift (2pm-10pm), and delivered my first baby, a boy at 3:46pm. My supervisor was delivering her own baby in the cubicle right next to mine, and her baby came out minutes after mine. We had a little friendly competition to see who could get all their paperwork done first, (she had help, it wasn’t fair) but it was good, otherwise I wouldn’t have been finished with everything when a continuity of mine who I hadn’t seen since going home in September came in active. I delivered her baby at 6:57pm, and I was so glad we kept her at the clinic instead of transporting her to the hospital even though we debated taking her there because of her condition. If we had transported, she probably would have had her baby in the ambulance and I would have missed out on the relationship. What a blessing it is to bring these beautiful babies into the world and be a part of these women’s lives.

In closing, God is faithful, and I am so thankful to Him for the amazing things that have made my almost 25 years of life full. I have caught/delivered 50 babies so far, and am counting still. Each and every family/woman has made an impact in my life as I pray I have in theirs as well.

Please continue to stay involved in my life. I am committed to be here at least through next July, and ask for your prayers as God leads me in my next step.

If you know of people that would be interested in receiving my newsletter please forward this to them.

Love Always,
Jenny

No comments: