Monday, November 26, 2007

Celeste - Pregnancy Belly Cast

In January of this next year, we will be asked to do an art project that somehow involves pregnancy or birth in someway. I read about making a pregnancy belly cast before going home last September, and decided that was what I wanted to do. So, my mom and I went around the day before I left to come back here and bought all the supplies I would need.
When I got here, I just needed to find a pregnant woman who was comfortable enough with me to allow me to do this project with her. In come Celeste, a continuity of Lois'. She is pregnant with her 3rd baby, and was so much fun to get to know and do this project with. She also has an amazingly beautiful shape about her which made a beautiful cast.
None of us really knew what we were doing, so we were all surprised when it was finished, with how good it turned out. Celeste was so funny, she said, "You know, this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this." Lois and I looked at each other, and said, "Umm, this is the first time for us as well!" We had a good laugh about this. We had read about it and seen pictures, but it was a first for us to see one in real life.

This is the rough finish, I will do some sanding, and put a coat of plaster on still, so check back in the next month or two for the updated finished project. I also told Celeste that because she is already term (37 weeks), her baby would fit inside the cast after she was born this December with a light blanket. She got so excited and asked that i bring it with me to Mercy when she goes into labor so we can put her inside. I will put pictures up of that as well later in December.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's amazing -can't wait to see the finished product!