Thursday, November 15, 2007

2 babies in one day!


I thought I had reached the pinnicle of midwifery when I delivered or "caught" 2 babies in one shift, but found out that it can happen more than once in a short period of time! I was on swing shift, and had come a little late since I was in the hospital visiting Sara and her family. It wasn't at all busy when I checked in before shift, but when i got there at 2:20, things had picked up.
There was a cute pregnant lady outside the clinic and as I walked in, I asked if she had checked in and was going home, but she said she hadn't because nothing had come out yet, so she didn't know if she was allowed! Hmmm. I told her to come in with me, and she turned out to be very active! My supervisor delivered her baby just minutes after my labor gave birth and everything went well. There was a little friendly competition between us to see who could get all the paperwork etc done first, and that turned out to be a blessing because I got everything done much faster than I would have otherwise!
Just as I was finishing things up, and Annabelle was resting, Maricel walks in. My name is on her chart indicating that she is a continuity of mine. I thought she had decided not to birth at Mercy because I hadn't seen her since August! But I guess she had come twice since then, and missed some appointments... Well, I took her, and it was a little scary because she reported leaking for over 48 hours when she came in, but was about ready to pop her baby out, so we knew if we transported (which we usually do, see Sara's story below) she would probably give birth on the way to the hospital! So she did have her baby at Mercy, and I delivered my second baby that day. It was good to see her, and you can see her beautiful girl Wendy at the 3 day check.
Maricel's husband is from the area of the Philippines that I grew up in, and she is joining him as soon as I give her the ok. She will take Wendy with her, but her 3 other kids will stay with her mom here in Davao to continue school. It is a sad situation, but pray with me for the best.

No comments: