Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sara Kho


This is Sara, one of my continuities (meaning I was her midwife through pregnancy and did all her prenatals. It also means I am on call to deliver her baby even if I am not on shift.) She always had so much joy, and was so excited to learn all about her baby inside, and we had some really great times together as we journeyed through her pregnancy together.

I had just delivered 2 babies the night before I got a text from her saying her water had broken, but that the contractions were still manageable. This is not a good sign from someone who is having their first baby. We met at the clinic, and confirmed BOW rupture, which meant that even though she was in very early labor, she had to stay at the clinic, and now was on the clock because we are required to transport our patients after a certain time to the hospital if they are BOW rupture.

I knew that a very big possibility was that I would have to take her to the hospital around midnight that night, but we stayed at Mercy and still had fun together, and prayed together when the contractions were getting stronger, and then at midnight it was confirmed, a transport would be necessary.

It was nice that the doctors weren't too busy, so I was able to put her in the care of the doctors at DMC. The next day she texted me at 1pm saying she had delivered, and would I like to visit? I was on duty again at 2pm, but I went after getting an ok for being a little late from my supervisor. I brought them some food and some cute baby outfits.

She had a little boy, and was tired, but didn't have a c-section, which we were both praying wouldn't happen. When I got there, she hadn't heard how her baby was doing because he was in the NICU, so I played mediator, and talked to the doctor, and they were so grateful.

Sara just brought little Christian Jon in for a one week appointment, and it was so fun to see him! He was wearing the little outfit that I had bought him, and even though they were the smallest size I could find, he was swimming in them! But oh so cute. He was a little jaundiced, (yellow skin from not being able to get the bilirubin out of his system) but I was able to teach Sara how to get rid of the yellow, and other than that they both looked great.

God is so good.

No comments: