Monday, April 21, 2008

To the wonderful Mothers-Of-Multiples mom:

My mom came to visit a few weeks ago in March and brought with her a whole suitcase full of cloth diapers that snapped shut and had plastic pants to cover them. She said she was given them by a mother from her group of Mothers of Multiples. She had wanted them to be given to moms who really needed them.
I think this was really the right choice - I have given many away already to some of my patients like Jenelyn (who I wrote about in a recent post below) who is the 20 year old beautiful mother of 2 in pink in these pictures.

I was doing a health teaching on breastfeeding, and I always love to bring prizes with me to encourage group participation, and this time I brought 6 of the diapers with the plastic covers. My first question found me a winner of 1 - out of a group of 60 patients, only one had breastfed for 2 years.

I asked other questions - like what is the first milk called that a mother gets while she is still pregnant? I gave a prize to one mother who knew this answer - and continued to explain the importance of colostrum. Many of the mothers here need to be told over and over that yes, they do have milk as soon as their baby is born!

One of the mothers who knew an answer and got a diaper as a prize was actually a continuity of my friend Lois, and Lois later told me she had tried to abort this baby 5 times! None of the times had worked, and now she is actually excited to be pregnant. She is in her 2nd trimester, and said thank you so much for the diaper - it was the first thing she has for her baby, and she is so excited to go home and start packing a bag for delivery!

So again, my deepest thanks to this mom from MVMOM's group who so generously has blessed many lives here in the Philippines. If anyone has any other items they would like to donate, please contact me via the email address on my blog to arrange it. Money could also be designated to buy special things for these moms and their babies. Thank you.

No comments: