Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Synopsis:

I haven't had much time to blog lately, and let me tell you why:
I worked from 2pm-10pm on Saturday, 2/23, 6am - 2pm on both 2/24 and 2/25, I had the 26th off, then worked 6am-2pm on the 27th, 7:45am to 12pm on the 28th, and then 2pm to 10pm on the 29th. Phew.

After all of those shifts, I was ready for the 3 day weekend ahead of me, but had in the back of my mind that it really wasn't going to be a 3 day weekend, because my continuity, Viowelyn Calderon or Viewe was showing signs of beginning labor.

Sure enough I got a call on Sunday morning and met Viewe at the clinic. She was in very early labor, so we both went back home and she promised to text me (what they do here instead of call). I decided to text her about 4pm just to see how she was since I hadn't heard from her, and to my surprise she was already on her way to the clinic! Yikes. I tried to ask her to stay at home for a little while longer knowing she would most likely still be in early labor, but they were already on their way, and it was raining hard where they lived (about 1 hour away) so they needed to get to the clinic while they still could.

So that meant we were both in it for the long haul! She was still in early labor when I checked her in again at 5pm, but heading into active labor. I brought everything over including my pillow thinking I would be there all of night shift and then into day shift as well, but amazingly enough she progressed really fast - mostly due to the fact that her baby was already very much engaged.



Little David Apollo joined us at 11:23pm that night, and although I was up straight then until 3am, I was much happier to do that than stay all through night and day shift with her knowing we would both get exhausted if we did that. The birth was somewhat difficult, but Viewe was a trooper to be sure.

So, that was right in the middle of my "3 day weekend," but I was more than happy to share that special time with Viewe and her new baby. I took Viewe as a continuity because she was a single mom of 20, and was in school for restaurant management through her whole pregnancy. Coming to prenatals on time would have meant missing class for that day, so being her midwife I was able to let her come at whatever time was good for her which made it so she didn't have to miss school.

Please keep Viewe in your prayers along with her new baby boy, David Apollo.

No comments: