Wednesday, July 2, 2008

2 Babies on Friday night and 2 again on Tuesday!


Not only did I catch 2 babies today, but my last shift I also caught 2! My last shift was last Friday night with Tiffany and Laura (right before we went to the beach for the weekend). I was up first and caught a baby that was on her way out when I got there. Then, Tiffany caught one and then 2 active labors walked in together around 3am. Laura was taking care of the first one when the second walked in and she realized it was her labor from earlier that evening, so she switched to care for that one.
That left the G3 mom (who usually go fast!) without a midwife while Ate Ermie (our supervisor who was up next) woke up... While she was focusing, I got gloves on ready to assist, but I could tell Ate Ermie didn't really want to catch a baby and so when she didn't make a move to put gloves on and instead started charting, I asked if she wanted me to catch and she said yes so I could catch more before coming home! Haha. Ok. That was fine with me because my other birth by that point wasn't needing me as much as most everything was done there. So the first picture is of Tiffany's baby on the left, Laura's in the middle and one of my two on the right. My other baby was transported to the hospital right after birth due to complications and was admitted there. Both Tiffany and I had 5 lb babies and Laura had a 7 lb baby which is normal but looked so big compared to ours!
So then, today, I was not up first, Jane was - and the birthroom was actually empty, but all the beds were made up prepared for a busy shift - so I actually blame the shift before us for the busyness of that day :) Jane got a labor and my fully walked in minutes after hers. Mine delivered right away - G4 (4th baby) and it was a beautiful birth. I was alone for some of it while the others were helping with Jane's birth but it was so easy and beautiful. Jane's delivered some minutes after mine.
A labor came in for Ate Steph soon after but she wasn't active, we kept her for a while to manage her hypertension, but then ended up transporting her for hypertension. Soooo, another labor came in who was mine since the hypertension girl was still there, but soon Ate Steph took over and she was only 5cm so she labor watched her the rest of the shift. At first I was grateful to have more time to concentrate on my first birth, but I knew that it wouldn't be long (the way shift was going) until I got another fully.
Sure enough minutes later a taxi pulls in laying on the horn. I grabbed some gloves and ran out the emergency door to find the taxi driver frantically pointing inside saying "baby coming, baby coming!!!" I look in and barely see the girl who looks like she could be coming in for prenatals who is getting money out to pay for the ride. I laugh and say the baby isn't coming out, but the taxi driver is insistant and so I help the girl out and as soon as she stands up a strong contraction hits and she doubles over! Wow. So I 1/2 carry 1/2 support her as she stumbles into the clinic and we get a bed prepared for her. This is her first baby ( G1), so even though she is fully before 11am, she didn't have her baby until 12:22pm.
It was a long, exhausting pushing stage that I wasn't sure we would be able to do, I was afraid we would end up transporting her for exhaustion and failure to progress, but with alot of help from me, and alot of cooperation from her, we did get her baby out. We almost cut an episiotomy because we were sure she would tear pretty bad without it, but Ate Steph wanted me to cut it and I didn't want to so we argued about that for one contraction, waited for one more and then the baby was coming and out, and it wasn't needed! We still thought she tore, but to our shock and utter delight God totally spared her tissues! No tear at all! The baby was so small (another 5 pounder - both of my babies today were as well as last Friday), but for some reason it was so difficult to push, but all is well that ends well.
I didn't get home until 4pm (shift ends at 2pm) but considering the fact that I am completely done - no more assignments, no more tests (except the NARM in August) to study for, it wasn't a problem. So now I am up to 87. Anyone care to place bets on what my final baby count will be before I leave here? :)

No comments: