Friday, June 6, 2008

A God Thing

I met Analou about 2 weeks ago. She was 39 weeks pregnant and her baby was transverse (horizontal in the mom's tummy intead of up and down)It was easy to move the baby to a cephalic (head down position) so we sent her home saying she needed to start doing things to stimulate labor and to do deep squatting to help the head stay down.

The next week, a supervisor midwife did the prenatal on her, and she was breech :( She tried to turn the baby to cephalic, but it didn't work, so she advised her to prepare money now for a possible hospital transport later.

Then, today Analou texts me this morning asking if I will do a prenatal on her, but I was recovering from a long night shift so I told her unless she really needed me to come, to please have another midwife on duty do the prenatal. She was fine with that and a different supervisor did the prenatal declaring her breech and for transport.

Analou then texted me again this evening saying she was sorry for disturbing me (which I promptly informed her she was not doing) but would I be able to do a prenatal on her this evening again? She would come back to Mercy. She was so sure that if i did the prenatal she wouldn't be breech anymore. I warned her that the likelyhood of that being true was slim to none, but that I would love to see her tonight anyway and do what I could to help.

When I first felt her baby's position it screamed cephalic position to me, the head was felt clearly in the lower abdomen, but I didn't want to give her false hope, so i continued to palpate much longer than necessary, checked for fetal heart tones and then even called in a supervisor to double check. She confirmed that the baby was indeed cephalic, so we "untransported" her, put her file back in the working cabinate and told her to come back on Tuesday.

Please pray with me that her baby stays cephalic - his head is still pretty high which means he can move back to breech pretty easily. I told her to do squatting exercises and pray with me, but it would be wonderful if we could have more than just the two of us praying.

Thanks! I will keep you updated.

2 comments:

~TK ~ said...

I'll pray for you and your buntis if you pray for me and mine ;)

Love ya JF

The Wittz said...

I will be praying that the babies head stays down and that is a praise already that it changed its position in the first place huh!!! Oh my sister's first ultrasound showed that she has the lower lining of the placenta. Have you heard of this before? I think I said it right. So now they are going to do another ultrasound on Wednesday. I loved loved loved the email you just sent me and if you will wait a few more days I will write back k. Love you!